Frequently Asked Questions

No. Our office will keep your document for approximately 3 days for processing, and then it will be returned directly to you by U.S. mail or through the title company, attorney, or lender that recorded it for you.
Preparing legal documents is a complex, exacting process and requires a great deal of knowledge. It is not something that most people without legal training should attempt to do. This office receives many requests for information about where forms for various legal documents can be purchased. Forms for deeds and other documents are available on our website under the Fees & Forms section, as well as some stationery and office supply stores. This office is not permitted to complete forms, help customers fill out forms, or to check forms to make sure the result is what the customer intended.
We are sorry, but surveys are not typically recorded in the Recorder’s Office.
Not generally. If the birth, marriage, or death took place in Will county, the documents are archived by the Will County Clerk’s Office, which is located in the Will County Office Building at 302 N. Chicago Street, in downtown Joliet. Their phone number is (815) 740-4615. Occasionally, individuals born outside of Will County (in other counties, states or even other countries) choose to record their vital records such as birth, marriage, and death certificates with the Recorder’s Office so that copies of them are readily available locally. Doing so is completely optional, and not required by any local, State, or Federal laws.
Generally, because of privacy concerns and other issues, we do not recommend that you record your will in our office. Keep in mind that all recorded documents with the exception of DD214 documents become PUBLIC RECORD. These documents can be viewed by anyone with the desire to see them at any time. Typically, wills are placed in the safe keeping of a trusted attorney, or held in a safety deposit box or other protected place that can be accessed by family or friends after your passing. If you TRULY want to record your will in our office, we will allow you to do so at the rates outlined in our Fee Schedule.
No. The Illinois Real Estate Transfer Declaration (PTAX-203 & PTAX-203A) are forms created and required by the State of Illinois. As such, these forms are not specific to any one county, and may be used in all counties throughout Illinois. You may download these forms and their respective instructions and/or fill out the form online with the Illinois Department of Revenue by visiting our Forms page.
There are several municipalities which require municipal stamps prior to recording. Each of these municipalities are listed below with a corresponding telephone number for your convenience.

Aurora (630) 844-3613
Bolingbrook (630) 226-8430
Channahon (815) 467-5311
Joliet (815) 724-3902
Naperville (630) 420-4116
Park Forest (708) 503-7703
Romeoville (815) 886-7200
University Park (708) 534-6451
Woodridge (708) 852-7000
The variety and complexity of these forms is so great that our office cannot provide them. We suggest that you contact a title company or office supply store.
The DD-214 form is available under the Forms section. DD-214 Pamphlet
The Will County Recorder’s Office website is a service of the Will County Recorder.

Disclaimer: This web page and the other pages of the Will County Recorder’s Office website are provided as a service to the public in order to provide access to the Recorder’s Office policies, rules and regulations. The information contained in these pages was valid at the time of publication. The Will County Recorder reserves the right to make changes to information contained herein at any time without notice, and assumes no liability for damages incurred as a result of errors, omissions, or discrepancies. If you believe any material contained in this or any other County web page is inaccurate, please report them via email to the webmaster.